Wednesday, February 17, 2010

20100218 lesson by don

-->
Men's Thursday February 18, 2010 Noon Bible Study Group
  1. Announcements and Health and Happiness and Silliness
  2. Purpose of class
    1. Fun and learn something
    2. Recently some one asked me about where they could find "Bible Study" in this Chruch. He was aware we used the Upper Room and that was not what he was looking for. How would you have answered him?
    3. Look a little harder today at the scriptures
  3. Any one have a preference where to start?
  4. Men's Devotional Bible
    1. Page 1150
    2. Half mechanical and half Mysterious
    3. Grace of God
    4. Scripture -Read Attachment A
    5. Comment from Group on Scripture
    6. Relate Scripture to article onn page 1150
  5. Friday 2/12/10 page 54 (PAGE 53)
    1. Scripture
      1. Which one of
        you, having a hundred sheep and losing one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and go after the one that is lost until he finds it? When he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders and rejoices. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.' Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.
      2. Jesus said, "I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me . . . . And I lay down my life for the sheep.
    2. The article says
      1. Sometimes we stray from the true path and find ourselves in a place we don't want to be. But even before we call out, our Lord begins to search for us to bring us back to the fold. Indeed, as the parable says, there is great joy in heaven when one who is lost returns to God's house. (Luke 15:7)
    3. Comment
  6. Saturday 2/13/10 page 55 (PAGE 54)
    1. Scripture
Truly, O people in Zion, inhabitants of Jerusalem, you shall weep no more. He will surely be gracious to you at the sound of your cry; when he hears it, he will answer you. Though the Lord may give you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, yet your Teacher will not hide himself any more, but your eyes shall see your Teacher. And when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left, your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it."-Isaiah 30:19-21 (NRSV)
    1. Article
      1. What is the main point?

When I have become confused about the circumstances of my life or tired because my direction is not clear, scripture is my powerful guide. I am able to recall from memory or read verses that have sustained me in the past. I can reflect on the words of Christ who has been my faithful companion in times of storm and calm.
I know I will find safety in returning to this map. Its guidance orients me and provides assurance and comfort. This never changes.
  1. Sunday 2/14/10 page 56 (PAGE 55)
    1. Exodus 17:8-13 (NRSV)
Then Amalek came and fought with Israel at Rephidim. Moses said to Joshua, "Choose some men for us and go out, fight with Amalek. Tomorrow I will stand on the top of the hill with the staff of God in my hand." So Joshua did as Moses told him, and fought with Amalek,while Moses, Aaron, and Hur went up to the top of the hill. Whenever Moses held up his hand, Israel prevailed; and whenever he lowered his hand, Amalek prevailed. But Moses' hands grew weary; so they tooka stone and put it under him, and he sat on it. Aaronand Hur held up his hands, one on one side, and theother on the other side; so his hands were steady until the sun set. And Joshua defeated Amalek and his people with the sword.

    1. Article
ANA came forward to sing a solo. She is a new church member, participating for the first time as a soloist in our worship service. As she began singing a familiar hymn, a look of fear crossed her face. Her voice came out shaky and weak. She was singing without instrumental backup, so she struggled alone. Suddenly, someone in the congregation began quietly humming the melody. Soon others joined in. Before long, a four-part harmony of humming accompanied Ana as she sang. Help came from all over the sanctuary. Ana took courage and finished the hymn with a beautiful, strong voice.Our congregation's impromptu musical support for Ana reminds me of the story of Aaron and Hur, who figured out how to support Moses. When he became weary in his important task,their helping hands made all the difference. All of us may get tired as we serve God. We may be overwhelmed with fear and feel ready to give up. Someone'shelping hand can make all the difference.
    1. Comment
  1. Monday 2/15/10 page 57 (PAGE 56)
    1. Scripture
I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory about to be revealed to us. For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the children of God; for the creation was subjected to futility, not of its own will but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to decay and will obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. We know that the whole creation has been groaning in labor pains until now; and not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the first fruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly while we wait for adoption, the redemption of our bodies. For in hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what is seen? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.
    1. Article
Since the death of my son I now live every day as if it were my last. I tell my loved ones often that I love and appreciate them. Most important, I praise the Lord that we are all offered safety eternally in God's loving care.
  1. Tuesday 2/16/10 page 58 (PAGE 57)
    1. Scripture : -1 Corinthians 12:4-11 (NRSV)
Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of services, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who activates all of them in everyone. To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. To one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the discernment of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. All these are activated by one and the same Spirit, who allots to each one individually just as the Spirit chooses.-1 Corinthians 12:4-11 (NRSV)

Article: He went on to say that he had never before received a thank-you letter from someone he had located. He was sending me a "thank you" for the thank-you card that I had sent in appreciation for their hardwork in getting my magazines to the correct address.Each of us has a different set of gifts that we can use to serve others. It is easy to forget the value of saying "thank you" to people who have used their gifts and skills to help us. We even forget to say thank you to God.
  1. Wednesday 2/17/10 page 59 (PAGE 58)
  2. Luke 11:2-4
2And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth. 3Give us day by day our daily bread. 4And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.
    1. Article:

  1. Thursday 2/18/10 page 60 (PAGE 59)
    Scripture: Isaiah 49:15-16e
15Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee. 16Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.
Article:
13. Closing Prayer



No comments: