Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Fifth Downs

Don Redding - Our Fifth Downs
Published first byDon in February 2010 for Bible Study Group
Suggested Bible Reading


2 Timothy 4:6-8 (New International Version)

7I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day . . .. . . .
Today's Scripture:
Galatians 5:7: You were running a good race. Who cut in on you and kept you from obeying the truth?
2 Timothy 4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

Exodus 20:15 15Thou shalt not steal.


Carl Snavely. coach of Charlie Justice and four of the best North Carolina football teams, once forfeited a game after reviewing the game movies. His Cornell team won against Dartmouth on a fifth down. The decision cost Snavely and his Cornell team an undefeated season and a #1 ranking. The year was 1940. He coached UNC 1946 -1951. A writeup of the game is at Fifth Down - or may be found by googling "fifth down Carl Snavely". Also, you can find other fifth down situations not handled as courageously.

I long admired
Snavely for his character and that decision. I often get fifth downs and wonder if I handle them as well as he. My fifth downs come in the form of mistakes in judgment, people I mistreat, sins through commission and omission, lack of a good word of encouragement to others, unkind words, little empathy, and a million other ways you guys can suggest. The important thing is to forfeit/correct those plays and keep hustling for 100 yards.

Often I am blessed with many first downs. I create too many fifth downs, and I hope I have character enough to do the right thing with them no matter the costs.

Prayer
Father, Thank you for all our first down opportunities. Forgive us for taking unfair advantage of the rules and circumstances. Teach us courage in the small and easy decisions - as well as in large ones which cost us our individual national championships.

Thought for the Day:
How do we handle our fifth downs, especially if they cost us dearly.Prayer Focus:
People without many first down opportunities.
donRedding
11/16/09

No comments: